Saturday, February 12, 2011

For Me



I was inspired to think about blogging again last night, by a meeting of like-minded local ladies of the Information Super Highway. It reminded me (not the ladies, but the desire to blog) that I had a little blouse fest recently - well if you can call sewing two blouses a fest.

I knew I would need some light cotton tops for the hot Canberra summer, so I raided the stash for the cheapie cotton (to test some patterns) and set out. The first was the very easy Made By Rae Spring Ruffle Top - minus the ruffles for me thanks.



Super easy, minimal pieces to cut and a cinch to put together. I didn't quite have the width in my cheap IKEA fabric to allow for much gathering, but I think I prefer it this way. I have some voile cut and ready to make another one.

If you're thinking about starting out sewing your own clothes, try the Made by Rae top.



Then I went on a wild, magical, mystery sewing adventure where I used three tops from my wardrobe to scramble a pattern together. It's not perfect, but I really like it - especially the pin tucks on the bust.



The sleeve lines need adjusting and the neckline needs fixing and the addition of some facing (or the neck binding to be cut on the true bias) to stop the gapping, but for a wearable muslin I'm pretty happy and will be doing this one again.

No comments: